Emacs 24.4 in Debian jessie

Hey, Emacs 24.4 is in Debian jessie…I’m typing on a Debian jessie laptop right now! Let’s upgrade!

$ emacs --version
GNU Emacs 24.3.1
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You may redistribute copies of Emacs
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

$ sudo apt-get update
...

$ sudo apt-get upgrade
...

$ emacs --version
GNU Emacs 24.4.1
Copyright (C) 2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You may redistribute copies of Emacs
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

Sweet! Now we have to re-install the use-package package using the Emacs package manager and re-install all of the Cask packages.

$ cd ~/.emacs.d
$ cask install
...

Restart Emacs and we’re back in business!

I’ve been using the fancy rectangle mode hidden inside of CUA mode for a while now, but I don’t want the rest of CUA mode, so I have these lines in my init file.

'(cua-enable-cua-keys nil)
'(cua-mode t nil (cua-base))

Emacs 24.4 has its own fancy rectangle mode using C-x SPACE. That seems to work fine, so I removed those cua-mode lines.

Rats! Now when I try to post this blog, I just get

Wrong type argument: stringp, netrc-get

in the minibuffer. It seems that netrc.el is busted in Emacs 24.4!

Advertisements
Emacs 24.4 in Debian jessie

4 thoughts on “Emacs 24.4 in Debian jessie

  1. I see the same thing. Have you found a fix?

    It might interest you – I used to run Wheezy with a vanilla Emacs 24.3 compiled and installed, and org2blog/wp-login worked fine. Since Jessie, I have had a problem not only on Emacs24 (the debian package) but also on vanilla 24.4 and 24.3 from gnu.org. I also diff’d netrc.el between those versions and there is no change. So, I think it’s actually an issue with another library somewhere… :-/

    1. Oops, I missed this comment last month! Doesn’t really matter, I guess, since I have nothing to report. I have not found a fix. In fact, things seem to have gotten worse. Now I just get “Error during request: 301.” Hrm.

  2. Okay, the 301 error is a separate problem. Apparently, WordPress started automatically redirecting http requests to https. I changed the URL to https in my init file and all is well.

    I still don’t know what happened with netrc.el, but switching to auth-source works fine.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s